Marketing and communications VP says goodbye

The Vice President for Marketing and Communication Tricia Geraghty will leave her position at Marquette Nov. 9 to become the corporate vice president for marketing and public relations at Wisconsin’s Children Hospital.

Geraghty’s most recognizable accomplishment at Marquette was her leadership in launching the university’s first brand marketing effort with the tagline, “Marquette University. Be the Difference.” The phrase has been on university television commercials and the many banners and posters on campus.

In an email to the university leadership council and the board of trustees, University President the Rev. Scott Pilarz said he is “not surprised” by Wisconsin Children’s Hospital interest in Geraghty and commended her many contributions as a valued leader in Marquette.

“Her efforts have helped elevate the university’s academic reputation, established the university as a national leader in social media, expanded the geographic reach of Marquette’s brand and brought new and innovative ideas to our work with prospective students, alumni and benefactors,” Pilarz said in the email.

Dave Murphy, senior director of brand marketing in the Office of Marketing and Communication, will serve as interim vice president for marketing and communication until Geraghty’s successor is selected.

“In the role of interim vice president, I hope to maintain consistency and continuity within the office as well as with our partners throughout the university,” Murphy said. “We will continue to build on the momentum we’ve gained over the years thanks to a strong, talented and focused team of professionals.”

The vice president of marketing and communication serves on the university leadership council and acts as one of several key strategic advisers to the university president.

Geraghty said she is grateful for her experience at Marquette.

“I would say there’s never a good time to leave someplace as wonderful as Marquette,” Geraghty said. “I have worked here in the marketing and communication role for 11 years, and it has been an absolute privilege – it has been, really, an incredible opportunity.”

Geraghty has worked two stints as a Marquette staff member. From 1995 to 1999, she worked in many areas of the university administration – fundraising, government relations and community relations. After a two-year hiatus, Gergahty returned in 2001 as both the associate vice president of public affairs and director of marketing. In 2005, she became the vice president of marketing and communication.

Geraghty said she takes a lot of pride in helping establishing a university identity. She believes her most important contribution was helping to build a comprehensive team of professionals in the Office of Marketing and Communication.

Geraghty said the chance to work for another mission-based organization in the Milwaukee community was one of the main appeals for a new start at Wisconsin Children’s Hospital. Geraghty has two young children and said the job also appealed to her as a mother.

“It’s great for me to think about putting some of my professional skills to work in service of an organization that cares for children,” Geraghty said.