Madrid program director killed in car accident

Associate professor of Spanish Eufemia Sanchez de la Calle was killed in a car accident in Madrid Thursday. Photo via Marquette University.

Associate professor of Spanish Eufemia Sanchez de la Calle was killed in a car accident in Madrid Thursday night, a campus email reported Friday afternoon. She was 57.

Sanchez de la Calle was serving in her second year as the resident director of the Marquette en Madrid study abroad program prior to her death. Her funeral was held today in her hometown of Cáceres, Spain, and memorial services are set for next week in Madrid, according to the email.

Sanchez de la Calle had taught at Marquette since 1990. She was the author of two books, a biography of Spanish novelist Isaac Montero and an elementary/intermediate level Spanish language textbook .

Students studying abroad in Madrid are being offered help from a grief therapist and the U.S. embassy, according to the email. The chair of foreign languages and literatures, Anne Pasero, will be travelling to Madrid to offer further support. A memorial for Sanchez de la Calle will be held on campus in October.

• Jackie Curbishley Green

I am devestated by this news… Femy was my au pair and friend, we travelled together and I spent time in Caceres meeting her family and friends many years ago… my heart goes out to her loved ones

• Concha Sevilla. Madrid

Siempre te recordaré con una gran sonrisa, tus ganas de hacer las cosas fácilies y ese acento que, a pesar de los años en USA todavía conservabas. También recuerdo lo mucho que te querían los estudiantes de Madrid. Hasta siempre. Concha.

• Paloma Trejo

Terrible faith for a wonderful person. Wherever you are Femy, I hope that you know how much you were loved and admired. You were a great inspiration to students who seeked to be authentic just like yourself. Thank you for all the wonderful memories you’ve left behind. Everyone in my family loved you, you will be missed.

• Liz Dunn

What a tragic loss. She was a fantastic teacher, a wise mentor, and a fun-loving and loyal friend. She will be greatly missed.

• Liz Dunn

• Liz Dunn

• Daniel Brown

I’m in shock. What a loss for the Marquette community. She played a big role in my career path and certainly that of countless others. Qué en paz descanse.

• Seamus Doyle

Dan,
      I’m the religion & social justice reporter for the trib and am writing an article on the tragedy that occurred this past weekend and the legacy that Dr. de la Calle left behind. If you have any memories of Dr. de la Calle or insights as to the mark she left on MU, please feel free to email me. seamus.doyle@marquette.edu
      Thank You

• Heidi Von Tersch

My deepest condolences. Femy touched many lives and I am so saddened to hear the news. Heidi Von Tersch, MA 2002

• Seamus Doyle

Heidi,
      Thank You