EDITORIAL: After depression panel, be aware of campus resources

(From left) Assistant professor of biomedical sciences Paul Gasser, College of Health Sciences Dean William Cullinan and Oconomowoc psychiatric Peter Lake spoke at Monday’s panel event.

Mental health was in focus on campus this Monday, as Marquette hosted both a panel discussion on depression and free suicide-prevention training for students. We applaud these efforts by the university, and we want to take this opportunity to remind our fellow students of the mental health resources Marquette provides on a regular basis.

The suicide-prevention training offered by the Counseling Center, “Question, Persuade, Refer,” is also available privately to groups of ten or more students who could not make the training session.

Marquette’s Counseling Center provides free short-term care for students including counseling sessions, group therapy and information about mental health. Appointments are confidential, and students may work with the same counselor for a semester.

The Counseling Center also includes a psychiatric office so that students can receive emotional and medical care. If needed, students can also be referred to a Marquette psychiatrist after meeting with a therapist two or three times.

The Counseling Center is bound by laws of confidentiality. Students may openly discuss illegal behavior, such as alcohol and drug consumption, unless their actions are an imminent danger to themselves or others. It is important to report alcohol and drug consumption to therapists and psychiatrists so that patients receive the best care possible. Different medications may have side effects or not work when taken with drugs or alcohol.

We believe this is crucial to providing a safe place for students to seek counseling and treatment without judgment, and we commend Marquette for granting students access to these professional services.

Students, this is probably the only time in your life that you will have free access to counseling, so if you need it, use it. Don’t be afraid of the stigma associated with mental health concerns when it comes to your well-being.

Even beyond the Counseling Center, Active Minds, a student organization dedicated to de-stigmatizing mental illnesses, is a great outlet for students to discuss mental health issues and support Marquette’s community. This grop provides one way to get involved and advocate for mental health resources.

The Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology department is also sponsoring a colloquium series on counseling this year with a focus on metal health. For those interested in attending, the schedule of events and speakers can be found on Marquette’s website.

Regardless of what interests you most, we believe that it is important for students to utilize mental health resources on campus. It takes true strength to ask for help.

Many students may bring their depression concerns to their friends before seeing a professional. It is important for college students to be aware of these resources and direct their peers to finding the best help possible in addition to being a supportive friend.

And for those who feel uncomfortable with talking about mental health, we ask you to be accepting and understanding of counseling needs on campus. Depression is a serious illness, and those who suffer from it deserve respect.

If you are worried about the safety of another student for any reason, you should contact DPS immediately. DPS can offer transportation to Aurora Sinai Hospital if necessary.

The Counseling Center offers walk-in appointments for students in need of urgent care during regular weekday business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.). Students are also able to make regularly scheduled appointments.

You may call and leave a message for the center’s staff at 414-288-7172 at any time. If a crisis occurs after hours, students should contact DPS at 414-288-6800 and speak to an on-call counselor from the center.