‘Grey’s Anatomy’ pulls a ‘Glee’ with musical episode

"Grey's Anatomy" tries and fails to keep their musical episode alive. Photo via ABC.

Musicals are one of the best things in the world. Except perhaps chocolate.

They are able to cater to every category and genre, from fantasies like “Wicked” to old Westerns like “Oklahoma!,” and range in musical styles from rock and roll in “Rock of Ages” to some serious opera like in the infamous “Phantom of the Opera”.

So when musicals are incorporated into modern-day television and movies, I love it because it gives the world’s closed-minded musical haters an opportunity to fall in love like me.

So when I heard “Grey’s Anatomy,” one of the most popular shows on Thursday nights, was doing a musical episode, I almost had a McDreamy-necessitating heart attack.

The show opens up with the cast singing The Fray’s “How to Save a Life.” While it was beyond awkward to see the cast singing, I was surprised by some of their singing abilities.

I already knew Sara Ramirez had an amazing voice, having won the 2005 Tony award for her portrayal of the Lady of the Lake in “Spamalot,” but I was extremely surprised by Kevin McKidd who leant background vocals to the opening number and “Breathe (2 a.m.)”, along with Chandra Wilson and Chyler Leigh, respectively.

Sadly, I think this episode will only send people running from musicals. The actors are surprisingly great singers but the musical numbers have no relevance to what’s going onto the plot. Even worse, randomly bursting into a song about sunshine and happiness when your friend is dying is a recipe for one of the most awkward moments in television history, including the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction of 2004.

Moral of the story: If you sat through the most uncomfortable hour of your life to get a taste of the musical style, please, please, please, watch a real musical before proceeding to judge. Real musicals are out there and they are brilliant.

This musical, on the other hand, just flatlined.