Women’s basketball Big East notebook

The top-ranked and undefeated Connecticut Huskies scored a season-high 11 three-point shots and cruised past Louisville 92-71 in front of 19,123 at Freedom Hall – the Louisville arena's first-ever sellout for a women's college basketball game and the biggest crowd at an NCAA women's game this season.,”Home-court advantage was absent on Saturday as four Big East teams won conference games on the road.

The top-ranked and undefeated Connecticut Huskies scored a season-high 11 three-point shots and cruised past Louisville 92-71. The sellout crowd of 19,123 at Freedom Hall—Louisville's first-ever sellout for a women's college basketball game and the biggest crowd at a women's game this season—could not inspire a win for the Cardinals.

Pittsburgh moved to 3-0 in conference play with an 86-61 win over Cincinnati. Cincinnati has had a fair run at home this season. The Bearcats were 10-3 going into the game against the Panthers, but Pittsburgh center Marcedes Walker and guard Shavonte Zellous were too much for the Bearcats.

DePaul, meanwhile, beat Providence 66-55, providing the Friars their third home loss of the season. Three Blue Demons scored in double digits led by Caprice Smith with a team-best 15 points.

Finally, the Syracuse Orange won 67-60 over bottom-ranked South Florida. USF has had little home court advantage, losing five contests at home so far. In conference play, USF has failed to win at home.

Twice as nice

Pittsburgh junior guard Shavonte Zellous was named Big East Player of the Week for the second straight week and for the third time this season.

Last week, she led the Panthers to wins against Syracuse (85-75) and Cincinnati (86-61). Zellous averaged 29 points and six rebounds per game. Against Cincinnati, Zellous had career highs in points (32) and three-pointers (four) scored in the first half.

With her help, Pittsburgh (13-3, 3-0 Big East) is off to its best start since the 1993-'94 season.

Holding the upper hand

It's no surprise that Connecticut is ranked No. 1 with its undefeated record. But the Huskies aren't simply beating opposing teams—they're crushing them.

UConn's average margin of victory overall this season is 39 points, and that margin is 28 points against Big East competition.

UConn will look to extend that margin when it takes on Cincinnati this Saturday.