Women’s volleyball loses to Seton Hall on senior night

Senior Kim Todd was brought to tears after the Marquette women's volleyball team failed to pull out a win on senior night Friday, falling to Seton Hall in 3-2 (30-26, 31-33, 30-28, 24-30, 13-15), lowering its record to 8-15 (5-8 Big East) and eliminating Marquette from the Big East Tournament.

Head coach Pati Rolf was frustrated as a win might have put the team into the tournament. "It's disappointing, not for me, it's disappointing for Marquette and Milwaukee," said Rolf. "It's really disappointing to this team. This team deserved more than that."

Todd had 26 kills on the night, however 20 of them came in the first two games alone, with the other six coming in the final three. Todd was supported by senior Jenn Brown and junior Ashlee Fisher who totaled 20 and 14 kills, respectively. Senior Katie Weidner led in assists with 39.

The first game was back and forth from the beginning however both Seton Hall and Marquette had one 5-0 run each. A dig by Hailey Viola, followed by a kill by Todd put the Golden Eagles up 17-14. Marquette went up 29-23 but let Seton Hall come within four before finishing Seton Hall off 30-26 in game one. The opening game also saw a start from sophomore setter, Caryn Mastandrea who has sat on the bench for most of the season but tonight found herself in Rolf's rotation.

"I just wanted to come out with a lot of energy and help the team in any way I could," said Mastandrea, who had 28 assists of her own. "Whether I'm playing or not, I know I'm still helping the team."

Game two's lead was exchanged between the sides as Seton Hall managed to tie the game up on six occasions before taking it 33-31. Game three saw Seton Hall take dominance as the Golden Eagles experienced a dip in form. Todd had only three kills in the game but that was all she needed, ending the game with a kill and a Marquette win — 30-28.

Todd could not account for her lack of kills. "I'm not sure exactly what happened," she said. "Different setters came in but the sets were the same."

Game four was all Seton Hall as they went on a 4-0 run to take the lead and the fourth game, 30-24, pushing the match into a fifth and final game.

The fifth game seemed to be Marquette's for the taking as at one point they were up 13-9, however, Seton Hall came back with a 6-0 run to beat the Golden Eagles after Todd hit the ball out of bounds.

"It really is David and Goliath," said Rolf. "With our lack of depth and the loss of a lot of starters, it's a young team and they're just not as composed as they needed to be."