Athletic director retires after 20 years

The retirement is effective Dec. 31, 2006, and Associate Senior Vice President Steve Cottingham will take over as athletic director in an interim role through at least the summer of 2007.,”

Inside the Al McGuire Center that he was instrumental in bringing to fruition, Athletic Director Bill Cords announced his retirement Tuesday morning after 20 years at Marquette.

The retirement is effective Dec. 31, 2006, and Associate Senior Vice President Steve Cottingham will take over as athletic director in an interim role through at least the summer of 2007.

Cords "has run a program of unquestioned integrity," President the Rev. Robert A. Wild said. "It takes constant vigilance. We never say that problems can't happen, but he always did his best to run the athletic program with integrity."

Since July 1987, Cords has overseen the advancement of each Marquette sport, as well as the athletic department in general. Most recently, Cords helped orchestrate Marquette's arrival into the Big East Conference.

Other highlights of his tenure include the men's basketball team's run to the Final Four of the NCAA tournament in 2003 and the construction of the Al McGuire Center.

However, according to Cords, what he is most proud of over the course of his time at Marquette has little to do with the accomplishments credited to him.

"It's all about the people, and that's what this university is all about," Cords said. "It's about relationships and commitments."

And to thank Cords for his commitment to the athletic program and for the relationships he has built with everyone connected to it, an outpouring of current coaches, student-athletes and staff members were on hand to show their support.

"As a coach, he allows you to coach with your head, but he also allows you to coach with your heart," head men's basketball coach Tom Crean said. "He is always standing with you."